Single-Stream Recycling Bins
St. Mary’s College of Maryland utilizes single-stream recycling. This means that most recyclable materials can be thrown into a single recycling container. They do not need to be sorted, because they will be sorted at the recycling facility.
Blue recycling bins are located in all major campus buildings, in dormitories, and in residential common areas. Recycling dumpsters are also located outside of residential areas.
What is recyclable?
- Mixed paper, flattened cardboard
- Plastic bottles and containers labelled # 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7
- Glass jars and bottle
- Empty food and beverage cans/cartons
- Rinse out all containers before recycling!!!!
- Plastic bags and thin plastics (usually labelled #6)
- Styrofoam cups and containers (labelled #4)
- Plastic Party cups (labelled #4)
- Napkins and paper towels
- Plastic utensils and straws
- Food waste
⇑ Print out this handy guide, which will help you remember what to recycle! ⇑
Check out this video from Prince George’s County Materials Recycling Facility, where the recyclables from SMCM end up: