Faculty who serve as study tour leaders receive a variety of support through the program development and implementation process.
How to Apply
Before any promotion or implementation of a study tour can begin, a Study Tour Proposal needs to be submitted for review. This proposal can be accessed on our Via TRM application portal during our proposal period (late January through mid-March), and includes:
- Study Tour Proposal (This includes detailed information on course content, program provider, safety assessment, logistics, etc.)
- Study Tour Budget Form
- Detailed Itinerary
- Proposal from an approved provider of choice*
*In order to align with best practices, all new Study Tours are required to work with a US-based study abroad provider. You are welcome to choose your provider from the approved list below. If there is another provider you prefer, or you need assistance finding an appropriate provider, please contact the Director of International Education.
All program proposals are due no later than March 15 to be considered for the next academic year.
Program Approval Process
Each program will be reviewed for safety and academic content by:
- Department Head
- International Education Faculty Advisory Committee
- Dean of Faculty
- Director of International Education
Please note that programs that diversify our current geographic offerings are highly encouraged.
Upon approval of a Study Tour Proposal, all study tour leaders will complete a faculty program application. This application includes:
- emergency contact information
- signing several electronic documents
- a copy of your passport
The Office of International Education will continue to support Study Tour Leaders throughout the various phases of preparation, including:
- Recruitment: the Fall Study Abroad Fair is now dedicated to SMCM semester and study tour programs
- Financial Details: we work closely with the Business Office to create your program budget
- Health and Safety: we train all Study Tour Leaders on best practices in Risk Management, we purchase international health insurance for all participants, and we conduct pre-departure orientations tailored to each Study Tour
For questions concerning Study Tours please contact the Director of International Education.