All St. Mary’s alumni are eligible to serve on the Council, and can be nominated by themselves or by any one of their peers. Terms are one-year, beginning July 1 and ending June 30, and are renewable for up to six years.
The Alumni Council (the “Council”) is the governing body of the Alumni Association (the “Association”). Council members are elected based on demonstrated involvement, support, and commitment to St. Mary’s College of Maryland (“SMCM”). In accepting the one-year appointment, renewable for six (6) years, an individual agrees to fulfill the responsibilities associated with Council membership. Examples of these responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Make a good faith effort to attend all Council meetings. If unable to attend a meeting, notify the Council President as early as possible and provide any information for business of the Council. Members who miss two (2) consecutive unexcused Council meetings will be considered for dismissal.
- Contribute financially to SMCM each fiscal year (July 1 through June 30) commensurately with your capability as a donor. The Council shall have a 100% participation. Members not contributing are subject to dismissal.
- Endeavor to engage the SMCM community through a leadership role on the Council as an Alumni Liaison, Committee member, or by other means in support of related activities.
- Be an ambassador of SMCM and the Association by: Supporting undergraduate recruiting efforts; offering internships for students and/or jobs for graduates; advocating on SMCM’s behalf with Maryland legislators and officials; helping reconnect lapsed alumni with SMCM; and encouraging monetary support through giving initiatives.
- Energize SMCM students to become devoted alumni. Collaborate with SMCM staff and the Alumni Relations Office to identify and build programs that will enhance the SMCM student experience.
- Seek out, nominate, or support the nomination of talented alumni for the Council, alumni activities, and alumni awards.
- Be familiar with and participate in Association programs and events.
- Offer ideas to make the Council and the Association more meaningful to alumni and initiate activities and initiatives to that end.
All nominations must be submitted to the Office of Alumni Relations by March 15.
Announcement of New Members
The Council will review candidates’ applications at its spring quarterly meeting. The number of selected applicants will be determined by expected vacant seats and selections will be made based on a majority of Council member votes. New members shall be notified of their election to the Alumni Council by the Director of Alumni Relations, and the election results will be announced to alumni at the third quarter meeting during Alumni Weekend.