Applying as an International Student
The Common Application
The Common Application requires that you…
- Submit a personal statement essay due by applicable date
- Provide a unique essay to St. Mary’s College (located on our Questions Page)
The St. Mary’s College Application
St. Mary’s College of Maryland also has its own online application which an applicant can use in place of the Common Application if they would like.
SMCM Admissions Checklist for International Students
- Common Application or SMCM application
Includes personal statement essay submitted by the applicable deadline
- Application supplement
Completed and submitted with the application
- Official transcript of high school work to date
If applicable, college work must also be submitted
Transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services
- Standardized test scores
SAT(code 5601) or ACT (code 1736) sent directly from testing agency
Subject Tests are not required but may be submitted for consideration
- Midyear report reflecting seventh or tenth trimester grades
- Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) if English is not first language
We recommend minimum TOEFL scores of 550 for the traditional test, 250 for the computer-based test, and a score of 90 for the Internet version. We recommend a minimum IELTS score of 7.0.
- Citizen documentation
Copy of passport, immigration status (green card, visa) and an international address
- Financial resource statement
- Two letters of recommendation
High school counselor, or a Secondary School Report, along with a letter of recommendation from one of your junior or senior year teachers of an academic subject.
- $50 application fee required to submit application**
- Interviews are optional and can be scheduled here
*Important to Remember: Please include your full name on all supplemental application materials.