Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PhysTEC)
Member institutions are committed to improving the education of future physics teachers. St. Mary’s College’s Bachelor’s of Science (BS) degree in physics and Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) prepare students for careers as science teachers.
National Astronomy Consortium (NAC)
The National Astronomy Consortium (NAC) is a program led by the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) and Associated Universities Inc., (AUI) in partnership with the National Society of Black Physicists (NSBP), and a number of minority and majority universities to increase the numbers of students from underrepresented and underserved groups and those otherwise overlooked by the traditional academic pipeline into STEM or STEM-related careers.
Naval Air Warfare Center – Aircraft Division (NAWCAD)
In 2011, St. Mary’s, NAWCAD, and the Patuxent Partnership signed an Educational Partnership Agreement. This agreement recognizes shared goals and common interests, and it facilitates collaboration and resource sharing.
Professor Chuck Adler & Professor Josh Grossman participated in a long-term collaboration with Dr. Frank Narducci of NAWCAD on atomic research projects. This led to several external research grants and contracts which support student internships and research equipment.
The Patuxent Partnership
The Physics Department gratefully acknowledges an investment of $1,000,000 from the Patuxent Partnership. This investment supports our curriculum in applied physics. Students have a broad array of study options from which to choose in order to best meet their interests in physics.
Individual faculty participate in a wide array of professional organizations:
- Advanced Laboratory Physics Association (ALPhA)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT)
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Amarican Astronomical Society (AAS)
- Anacapa Society (theoretical and computational physics at primarily undergraduate institutions)
- Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Sigma Pi Sigma (physics honor society)
- Society of Physics Students (SPS)