Our approach to the study and practice of a concentration in Theater and Dance with the Performing Arts department is grounded in a liberal arts environment that values interdisciplinary and culturally plural perspectives. The lively exchange of ideas and practices across disciplines sparks our activities in classrooms, on stage and screen, and in the studios.
The goals of the programs in theater and dance are as follows:
- To develop knowledge and skills in theater, film, and media scholarship and practice;
- To create works of theater, performance, and media that educate our students, enrich and draw from the diverse cultural life of our community, and sustain a regional and national reputation for excellence and innovation;
- To combine tradition and experimentation, old technologies and new, theory and practice;
- To nurture socially engaged scholars, artists, and audiences;
- To build bridges among disciplines, both within and outside our department;
- To foster a community of faculty and students that celebrates and reflects the diversity of world theater, cinema, and media;
- To provide opportunities for students and faculty to cultivate their individual talents and realize their unique visions;
- To prepare students for graduate study or careers in their chosen field and for lifelong achievement as global citizens and creative, critical thinkers.
Of particular interest to the department is a continuing effort to promote cultural diversity in its courses, in its productions, and in the community. In keeping with this mission, its faculty practices affirmative action in all of its policies and operations, and invites suggestions for promoting cultural, racial, and gender inclusiveness in its various curricula and activities.