First-Year or Transfer Students
Thursday, August 24th: Residences open for new students
The residence halls open for first-year students on Thursday, August 24 at 8 a.m. Move-in continues until 3 p.m. Because most first-year students arrive on the same day, the area around the traditional residence halls (where most first-year students live) can become congested. For this reason, we ask that you unload your belongings quickly to the curb outside your residence hall and then move your vehicle to Lot T (Guam).
Check-in occurs in the lobby of your assigned residence hall. Check-in for Waring Commons, Townhouses and Lewis Quad occur in the staff offices of those areas. Members of the campus Move-in Crew will be available to assist you with moving your belongings, and the Alumni Office provides water at stations in and around the residence halls. When you check in, you will be given a lot of information, including:
- Your room key. Put this in a safe place, and do not duplicate it or give it out to anyone
- Your SMCM ID card, which will give you access to your residence hall, activates the laundry machines, and activates your meal plan, flex and debit accounts
- Your Room Condition Report (RCR) and instructions. You should conduct a thorough inspection of your room and note any items that are damaged or missing. This form is due back to your Resident Assistant within 48 hours of occupying your room
- Your parking decal (if applicable)
- Helpful information provided by offices around campus
- A package of poster mounts or tacks, which you can use to safely hang posters on your walls
- A schedule of activities for Orientation Weekend
Orientation Activities begin at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday and continue through Sunday. Students and families are invited to the Opening Convocation at 3:30pm on August 24th before they say farewell at 4:15pm that afternoon. All Orientation activities are designed to help new students acclimate and thus are strongly recommended. All residential new students are required to attend building meetings on Thursday evening.
August 26 & 27: Residences open for returning students at 10 a.m.
Returning students may check-in on Saturday, August 26 and Sunday, August 27 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Check-in will take place in the following locations:
- Caroline: Staff Office
- Dorchester: Staff Office
- Prince George: Staff Office
- Queen Anne: Staff Office
- Lewis Quad: Staff Office
- Townhouses: LQ Staff Office
- Waring Commons: Staff Office
When you check in, you will be given a lot of information, including:
- Your room key. Put this in a safe place, and do not duplicate it or give it out to anyone.
- Info on the Room Condition Report (RCR). You should conduct a thorough inspection of your room and note any items that are damaged or missing.
- Helpful information provided by offices around campus.
- A package of poster mounts or tacks, which you can use to safely hang posters on your walls.
There is a mandatory resident student meeting on Sunday, August 27 at the times and locations noted below:
- 7:15 p.m. Waring Commons (patio outside Bike Shop rain location: breezeway)
- 7:30 p.m. Lewis Quad (Patio)
- 7:45 p.m. Townhouses (DPC patio; rain location: DPC)
- 8:00 p.m. Caroline (Outside front door; rain location: Rec room)
- 8:15 p.m. PG (Courtyard behind the building; rain location: Rec room)
- 8:30 p.m. Dorchester (Courtyard behind the building; rain location: Rec room)
- 8:45 p.m. QA (Courtyard behind the building; rain location: Lobby)