Congratulations to Dr. Laraine Glidden on her most recent publication!
From www.aaidd.org: “This comprehensive and compelling work [Maltreatment of People With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities] presents research and evidence-based strategies related to the maltreatment of people with IDD across the lifespan. Using the public health framework that moves from surveillance to screening to intervention to policy implications, this volume presents research in a life-course perspective separated into three sections: IDD in Early Life, Adults With IDD, and Interventions for People With IDD. Together they emphasize the importance of interdisciplinary collaboration to better serve and provide for people with IDD.
Eleven chapters present research, strategies, interventions, and approaches in the key areas involved in the understanding, treatment, and prevention of maltreatment of people with IDD throughout their lives:
- A systematic review of the literature on the association between childhood disability and child maltreatment
- Sexual trauma in children and adolescents with IDD
- Effects of the bullying of youth with IDD
- Heightened social vulnerability among adults with IDD
- Removing reproductive, sexual, and child-rearing rights of women with IDD
- Relationships and social networks among a sample of mothers with IDD
- Victimization risk of older adults with ID manifesting later in life
- Prevention of maltreatment of adults with IDD
- Systemic change in services for parents with intellectual and other cognitive disabilities
- Post-injury monitoring of abusive head trauma
- Discriminatory killing and execution of people with IDD
Designed for policymakers, researchers, clinicians, and students at the undergraduate and graduate levels, this resource provides an in-depth look at the knowledge base in addressing the maltreatment of these vulnerable populations.”